Your memory acts as the life blood of your PC. So, low memory will slow your computer to a death crawl. A low memory error can be caused by a number of factors. However, remedying the problem will present you will a faster more efficient computer
Technically, memory acts a temporary storage for data. There are three types of memory. RAM, ROM and Virtual memory. When you receive a low memory error. The error will be a reflection of low memory problems with RAM or Virtual memory. Often, this error can be easily reversed by freeing up memory for your system’s use. This article will show you to speed up your memory functions with just a few clicks.
Before you begin freeing up memory, you must test to see if your low memory error is being caused by faulty RAM hardware. If the RAM hardware has been damaged, it may need to be physically replaced. Follow the instructions below to test your memory.
1. Click “Start”
2. Type “memory” into the search bar.
3. Choose “Memory Diagnostic Tool”.
4. Choose the option to check your memory.
So, if you passed the test with flying colors, lets get started on removing your low memory problems. Fading widows, translucently, animations and other visual effects make your desktop very beautiful and exciting. However, these features all must be loaded into your RAM. The more features, the less memory you will have for running the programs you want. You should streamline your Windows visual effects to free up more RAM for immediate use. Here is how:
1. Click Start, then click “Control Panel”.
2. Click “System”.
3. Click “Advanced System Settings”
4. Under Performance, Click “Settings”.
5. Under “Visual Effects”,
6. Choose “Adjust for best performance”.
As previously stated, programs need memory. There is no way around this fact. If you have tons of programs running silently in the background, these programs are silently creating a low memory environment. When Windows loads, it also loads start up programs. Eliminating startup programs is one of the best ways to end low memory errors. This tweak will also speed up your shutdown process. You can cut your startup programs load to bare bones by altering your “msconfig” also known as your start up program configuration. Here is how:
1. Open your “Start” menu.
2. Click “Run”
3. In the command screen type “msconfig.exe”
4. In the “system configuration utility”, click either “service” or “startup” tab
5. Uncheck all programs that your are no longer using.
6. Click “OK”
You can change your virtual memory by altering amount of free resources for your computer uses for it. Virtual memory uses free space as a resource. So you can change the amount free space reserved for the Virtual memory to eliminate low memory problems. Here’s how to alter your Virtual Memory.
1. Go to your “System Properties” in the Control Panel.
2. Under the Advance tab under Performance, click “Settings”.
3. Select Advanced
4. Choose “Change” under Virtual Memory.
5. Select your Hard Disk.
6. Click “System Manage Size”.